Monday, April 11, 2011

On the heels of coolness

While driving around the small Texas city where I work, it's common to see young adult men (teens and 20s, I'd guess) walking down the street while holding their pants up with one hand or, even funnier looking, pulling up the pants with each step.

I may laugh at the spectacle, particularly when they add the skewed cap and other contemporary accoutrements, but nothing about it bothers me. They're simply trying to be cool ... or whatever the appropriate term is today.

It struck me, however, they have one huge hurdle to overcome in achieving coolness.

They are walking.

This may mean nothing in a large city, but nobody walks here (within reason) unless it's for exercise or because he has no car.

Yeah, that's what you're telegraphing as you hike down the street while hiking up your pants -- you either have no car or no license. And here in small town Texas, that's a far cry from cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment